Sound sleep is very important for good physical health; if you experience difficulty in sleeping then your dentist may have an answer to the problem. Obstructive sleep apnea is a common sleep disorder that can be successfully treated by using oral appliance therapy. Let’s try to find out more about sleep apnea, through this blog, brought to you by Ridgetop Dental-the best dentists in Sterling, VA.
What is sleep apnea?
Sleep apnea is a sleep related disorder that causes the patient to stop breathing while they sleep. Snoring is a major indicator of sleep apnea. It’s a potentially fatal condition, which needs timely intervention.
Why it is important to treat sleep apnea?
Treating obstructive sleep apnea is very important as it can cause various short term and long term complications, like-
- Excessive daytime sleepiness or fatigue
- Morning headaches and memory loss
- Increases your risk of drowsy driving and workplace accidents
Long term complications include
- High Blood Pressure
- Heart Disease
- Chronic acid reflux
How is Obstructive Sleep Apnea treated?
There are various treatment options available to treat obstructive sleep apnea. The right course of treatment for a patient can only be determined after a thorough examination by an expert, suggests the expert for general and cosmetic dentistry in Sterling, VA. Your dentist may suggest any of the following treatment methods:
- Patients with severe sleep apnea may be advised to wear a face mask (CPAP system) that delivers air through mask.
- Oral appliance therapy using a mouth guard-like device, which is only worn during sleep, in order to maintain an open, unobstructed airway.
- Surgical options include a variety of procedures that have varying success rates.
- Patients with mild sleep apnea may be advised to make behavioral changes such as altering the sleeping position, losing weight, or quitting smoking.
Talk to Ridgetop Dental’s expert dentists about treatment options for sleep apnea. Ask if oral appliance therapy might be the right solution for you. To schedule an appointment or to find out more about cosmetic dentistry, general dentistry, restorative dentistry or sedation dentistry in Sterling, VA, visit Ridgetop Dental at-http://www.ridgetopdental.com/